Monday, March 14, 2011

Week 2

So, week one was all about planting the plants, its been a week since they were planted (pretending that I'm posting on the 9th when the photos were taken) and they're actually doing very well, for the most part.
Here are my boxes:

Box 1
The capsicums have been a little bit hit and miss, but not because of me....
This is the hit, its getting tall gorgeous and green...
These couple on he other hand, are the misses. I found a little white snail in the box, which could be the only reason for half of my little capsicum plants to be turning brown and having no leaves. I guess I'll just have to check for snails every time I water them.

Box 2
My lettuces look like lettuces!! I may not eat them yet... but I bet I could!
These are my tomatoes in that box....  They've become very bushy and have that distinct tomato leaf.

Box 3
Now this may not look so impressive, but if you think back to the little brown and wilted plants that I put into the soil...  this is a massive improvement because....
...they are alive!! Well, most of them. I think I lost one or two because they haven't come back, but I'm so pleased that these peas have come back to life.

Box 4
These are my second lot of cherry tomatoes. The pack that I go had 3 different types of cherry tomatoes in it, and you can see that they must grow in different ways too. The two plants on the right are a lot taller and a lot less bushy, but no less of a tomato plant with its foliage. I need to get some stakes for these two taller plants.

Box 5
My mini cauliflowers are going well. There is the odd brown dying leaf that I can only put down to the storm we had as hey are all they're smaller leaves at the base of the plants.

Box 6
My chives look like they're doing well. They are a nice bright green and getting taller, I just hope that more shoots come up as well or I'll eat it and that will be it.

My beetroot is doing really well. Their leaves are getting bigger and greener. I wish I could see under the dirt though, see if theres any development in the actual vegetable but I guess thats part of the surprise.

Box 7
This looks like a sad box, mainly because there isn't as much in it, but that is probably healthier for he plants. These cucumbers are looking healthy and have some bright yellow flowers on them, but I forgot to photograph that bit.

Veranda Pots
This mainly means my mint, but when I was watering the mint I also stared watering a pot along side it that had something brown and supposedly dead in it....   but it came back to life!
I'm not exactly sure of what it is, beside some sort of herb (I know I'm bad for not knowing), but Mum will tell me.

This is my mint. It is growing pretty fast so I might be able to use it soon with out taking all of its leaves.

Overall I am extremely happy with how my home kitchen garden is going. It is growing fast and green, and even though I have had a snail I am determined not to use any harmful sprays because I know that there are lots of home remedies to pest problems...  like relocating a snail to the empty block next door (lots of weedy plans bu no house).

No comments:

Post a Comment